Social Interpersonal Growth Psychotherapy

Home » Articles » Perfectly Imperfect

Perfectly Imperfect

Self-Acceptance
By Veronica Emilia Nuzzolo, MEDperfect

Social Interpersonal Growth; The humanistic perspective of psychology is the work of Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow and focuses on the relationship of the individual to society (social), considers the ways in which people view themselves in relation to others (interpersonal), and considers how one see’s his or her place in the world (growth potential).

Humanistic theory grew from a reaction to psychoanalysis and behaviorism and emphasizes the responsibility people have for his or her own behavior, even when the behavior is seen as abnormal. Rogers concentrated on what is uniquely human, viewing people as basically rational, oriented toward a social world, and motivated to seek self-actualization. Humanistic psychology focuses on free will, viewing people as having an awareness of life and of their inner selves that leads them to search for meaning and self-worth. Because of this “individual personalization” perspectives consist of and are based on one’s perception of contentment.

Maslow studied the healthy personality and described the characteristics of the self-actualizing personality. Maslow proposed that needs are arranged in a hierarchy, after meeting our more basic needs, we experience need progression and focus on needs at the next level, and if a need at a lower level is no longer satisfied, we experience need regression and focus once again on meeting that lower-level need.  People search for this level of contentment throughout the lifespan and the major factor of humanistic psychology is that humans possess an inner drive to grow, improve, and use their potential to the fullest, this is what Maslow called the ultimate in completed growth, self-actualization. According to Maslow, the self-actualizing person is the person that reaches the highest level of personal development and has fully realized his or her potential as a human being.

Roger’s theory of unconditional positive regard, communicates that a person is inherently worthy of love, regardless of behavior or achievement. But, if the person does not believe this to be true within his or her self, they will never move forward, never feel contentment, and will never achieve self-actualization.

Maslow and Rogers agreed that the acceptance of one’s self is a central component of positive regard, self-concept, the “perception of who we are and who we want to be.” Rogers indicated that the concept of self is learned from our social interactions with others. Rogers distinguishes between two concepts of self —“there is the self–the person I think I am, and the ideal self–the person I wish I was.”

Our motivation to progress toward self-actualization is our constant inner desire to always be the person I wish I was, however, I am not. Self-acceptance how perfectly imperfect, I am the person I know I am, and that’s o.k., because it is good to be me.

kermit_logo

How to cite this article:
Nuzzolo, V. E., (2016).  Self-Acceptance, Perfectly Imperfect.  Retrieved from https://risetoshinetoday.org/2016/06/14/perfectly-imperfect/

Advertisements

1. Recognize self acceptance is crucial for success and motivation, real thought you had share. Thanks

2. Amy Considine says:

I find this article fascinating. I have been thinking for days about where I am on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. Am I just at the physiological stage? Have I progressed past it? Am it a the safety stage? Have I achieved love and belonging? Or even esteem? I do not think I have gotten to self actualization at the ripe old age of 44. I am certainly not Ghandi or Mother Theresa. But that doesn’t mean I can’t try. I attend therapy on a monthly basis trying to better myself as a person. I help old ladies across the street and always go back to Market Basket if they have forgotten to charge me for the soda under my carriage. But what actually constitutes self actualization? it has to be different for everybody. My grade on a test might be higher than yours but wouldn’t there be a curve for ability and moderate expectations, depending on the person? I do believe in unconditional positive regard, treating everyone the same regardless of behavior or achievement. I really do. I think everyone needs a fighting chance, whether they are born with abnormalities, and unconditional love benefits everyone.
    So back to where I am on the Hierarchy of Needs…hmm, not sure on that one. I keep growing and changing and becoming a better person every day. I do have setbacks, blips in the road, but overall, I think I am doing pretty well. Maybe not Maslow himself yet, but we will just have to see.
    Best,
    Amy

• Judene says:

Amy, you are too funny when you said “you don’t think you have gotten to self actualization at the ripe old age of 44”. As Professor mentioned, it is hard to get to that stage in life unless you are the Queen of England or the President. Just keep continuing to strive on becoming a better person.

Judene

• Qian Ren says:

I like how you brought up the different ways people interpret self actualization. I feel that we just need to be at peace with our own self and our decisions/ actions. We always need to remember that we can never be perfect so when there is a mistake that we have done and can’t accept the fact that we actually made the mistake, we would need to look at the bright side of things. It is these mistakes that makes us more strong because we learn from them. When we are able to accept who we are and what we have and not have done, that’s when we are at that stage. Although we can never be like Mother Theresa and Ghandi, we can always still strive to do little acts of kindness to the people around us. Like how you said, going back into Market Basket or helping the lady across the street. Little acts of kindness is still kindness.

• Sierra Hitchcock says:

Amy, I really like your attitude of unconditional positive regard. Meeting someone with that kind of attitude is such a breath of fresh air. I think it can also really help people who struggle with self-acceptance to interact with someone who does not judge them on their behavior or achievement. People so often jump to conclusions about others and are quick to form opinions about them that it hinders them from actually getting to know the person. Granted it takes time to get to know a person, that’s why I am a huge propionate of not judging a book by its cover. When you meet someone you usually don’t know what battles they have fought or what demons they are fighting. You put it best: “Unconditional love benefits everyone.”

3. Sierra Hitchcock says:

Growing up is one of the most fascinating things to experience. I often think about how differently I am mentally that I was two years ago. I’ve learned how to be more self accepting, how to better help those around me, and even how to take better accountability for my actions. All of these things have made me a happier person, more like the ideal person I want to be. It certainly hasn’t been easy, definitely trying at times, but I feel so lucky to have the ability to grow and change. After being introduced to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, you can’t help but try and figure out where you are on his pyramid. I am very much near the bottom but I hope that I am privileged enough to reach the top before I leave this world. As I move through my life, I will forever be referencing back to Maslow’s Hierarchy seeing where I regress to when I hit a bump in the road and where I move forward when I experience a new, positive life event, hopefully in pursuit of my ideal self. I wish everyone strived to be their ideal person because I think the world would be a much better place if that were the case. Unfortunately that is not reality. I do hope though that everyone learns that “it’s ok to be you.”

• Sarah Erritouni says:

I love your optimism! I, like you, really love the idea of every person trying to be the best they can and climbing up the ladder, or pyramid, towards a better future. Everyone should be allowed to reach for their goals, personal or otherwise, and feel proud of themselves for moving forward. I also agree with you when you say that not everyone strives to be their ideal person. Some people would much rather aim for what society tells them they should be rather than look at what they honestly want. Some would rather chase a lie because if it fails, they won’t feel as disappointed; chasing your goals can be scary because the possibility of failure can sometimes be so terrifying that some people don’t even want to take the chance. Regardless, I believe that even if failure is the more likely outcome people should still go for what they want and improve themselves as they see fit because I would be much more content with failure knowing I did my best. Not to mention, change in a person is not usually an end goal; it’s something that happens over a journey(please excuse how cheesy this sounds). No one should feel too intimidated to be the best they can.

• Amy Considine says:

Hi Sierra, i found your post really interesting. You say that you are different now than you were two years ago. I will bet that two years before that you were even more different! I know that I was different two, five, ten years ago. Not better, not worse, just different. I too am trying to take accountability for my actions and life in general. I just finished watching a Ted Talk by Brene Brown. She talks about being imperfect and about how messy life is, life doesn’t have to fit in a neat box. You need to accept yourself for who you are. I think it’s a matter of self love and I know personally i can have more empathy for people around me than for myself. I have learned (in my life to date) how important self love is. I hope I model that for my two nephews, 4 and 7, knowing that life can be difficult but to be kind not only to other people but to yourself as well. They say in an airplane that you have to put on your air mask first before you can help anyone else. This process of “taking stock” in this class has been about trying to figure out where we all fit on the pyramid, and that has been significant. This class has given me the opportunity to think about my own life from a different perspective. And that, for me, has been priceless.

• Sarah Erritouni says:

“Not better, not worse, just different.”

It’s great that you mention this. People, myself included, always tend to think of change as being either good or bad. The idea is if you are different now that must mean you’re either better or worse than you were before. Very rarely do people ever see change as simply different. Difference, to a lot of people, has to be labeled and sadly this mentallity has caused some to lose faith in themselves.

I think more people should adobt your way of thinking on this issue: not all change is good or bad; sometimes it’s just different.

4. Sarah Erritouni says:

To be completely honest, if I were to ever change my career path to psychology, I’d probably label myself as a humanistic psychologist. I’ve always had a problem with people telling me or even implying that I have no choice in what I can or can’t do. I also don’t find it very realistic to point all the blame for someone’s behavior towards genetics, conditioned learning, etc. The idea that all people themselves decide how to act makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Also, I really like that Maslow and Rogers were able to see the good in all people and that they were able to say with confidence that deep down everyone was a good person. While I still do believe that this assertion is a bit generous given how some people, in my opinion, are absolutely horrible, I definitely appreciate the optomisim.

There is, however, one thing that confused me a little. According to Maslow, self-actualization, people’s desire to be the best that they can, is what every human strives for but Rogers’s self-acceptance says that a person reaches their potential once they come to terms with what they are and what they are not. It seems strage to me to expect someone to keep fighting to be what they want to be and at the same time accept that they are not what they want to be. How have humanistic psychologists combined these two principles and, if I misunderstood what was beimg said, what do they actually mean?

5. Qian Ren says:

Self acceptance and being able to look back and accept what we did and didn’t do is really important in life. It is what makes us happy and motivated to progress. I really like the humanistic approach done by Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow. Everyone is unique and I believe that we should live life fully because, “you only live once”, but there is always a limit to something, when we have done something wrong, we would need to pay for the consequences. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, is a great outline to make our goals. Each step up the ladder is an obstacle we have to overcome. I believe that individuality is important because without this everyone would be the same. Back then every gender and age group had the same role in society, they didn’t have choices, ladies were expected to be married off and become mothers, men were expected to take over whatever the family had (continue on the family legacy), there was no room for free will.

• Sierra Hitchcock says:

Qian, I really liked how you mentioned that part of self acceptance is be able to look back and accept what we did and did not do. I hadn’t really thought about that part of it. I often think about what my life will include and not include. I know that when I’m eighty I want to be able to look back at my life and have as few regrets as possible. The hard part about that is in the present we often don’t know what actions will lead to regret and which ones won’t. We just have to make the best decisions we can. I personally believe that there is a higher power helping to guide me on my life path. Whether or not there actually is a divine being, this belief helps me stay at peace and not worry about the future. Also, the fact that I am accountable for any and all of my actions I hope will help me lead of life of few regrets. I want to be able to look in the mirror and be proud of the person looking back at me.

• Jonathan Hock says:

I agree Qian, there is an interesting twist on the modern hierarchy of needs compared to the old societal roles of humans. I would argue that every citizen in the first world western society can progress without restrictions to class, gender, race, religion, etc to self-actualization.

6. The ideas that are agreed upon by Maslow and Rogers cause me to reflect on my own path. From my experience, the dual relationship between the ideas of what I am, and what I want to be, has been an ever-winding marriage of influencing forces that mature over time. The result of both realities comes from the influence they have on each other. The stronger the focus is of your ideal self will determine the outcome of your real self, simultaneously as the limitations of your real self becomes a reality, it will affect your ideal. This is where grit comes in. Your grit will improve your ability to persevere in difficult situations and keep you going in the face of opposition. I personally believe that is one of the single most important things to acquire toward your path to success. Everyone’s ideal is obtainable to a certain degree and it’s your internal strength that will get you there. But while grit will bring you to your full potential, self-acceptance is the key to happiness. If you live your whole life striving to achieve an ideal self because you cant except who you are, then your self will not be fully actualized. Self-acceptance is self-love, and like Rogers put it “a person is inherently worthy of love, regardless of behavior or achievement.”

• Sarah Erritouni says:

I love every thing about your comment. It’s so perfectly worded and structured and outlines everything I believe about this topic that I didn’t fully know how to put in words before. I especially love how you mentioned that both the actual self and the ideal self project and influence one another. The concept, once brought into the picture, seems so simple and yet, it completely eluded me as I was mulling over the article in my head. A person uses their ideal self to guide the changes in their real self but also uses their knowledge of who they are to estimate what it is they can be. This simple statement beautifully explains the growth and maturity of human beings. Thank you for putting it out there.

• Sierra Hitchcock says:

Martin, that was beautifully well written. I love how you explained the ebb and flow between a person’s real self and their ideal self. You clearly summed up a complex relationship in one sentence. Reading your post helped me see things in a new way where I didn’t think there were any new ways to see it. Also I completely agree with your about grit. My dad talks a lot about grit. He has sent me both a podcast and a TED Talk about grit and what it can do for success. I will put the links to both at the bottom. People put so much effaces on natural ability and talent that I think its often forgotten how far grit and hard work can take a person. Granted there are things such as biological limitations but even then people have found ways to achieve their goals. I know of many dancers who appeared to be limited by their physique only to use their grit to become extraordinary dancers and performers. I hope that my own grit will help me on my path of self-acceptance and self-love.
      https://overcast.fm/+FA4yt7ioo NPR Hidden Brain Podcast
      http://www.npr.org/2013/11/01/240779578/is-having-grit-the-key-to-success TED Talk

• Sara Sada says:

Hi martin, I totally agree with your view of self-acceptance. Everyone should have that level of love for themselves regardless of any factors. It is very hard to achieve that though in the kind of society we live in. The media especially picks at our self worth and makes us doubt and compare ourselves to others we see. Self acceptance is the key yes, but to get to that level you need a thick skin to disregard anyone’s opinions of you, and learn to accept yourself fully. Everyone has faults, but to find value in yourself and accepting that you are good enough for you, that would be the ultimate dream.

• Martin conserva says:

Sara, eventually you will realize that you are the only one holding you back. People will come and go and their opinions will become irrelevant and then you’ll start to see yourself through the fog, and everyone else will fall to the side.. I’m not saying I am fully their yet myself but I know how you feel and I know it gets better..

7. Amy Considine says:

Qien, I too believe in self acceptance, which leads to unconditional positive regard. I have had experiences where I have felt badly about myself, and have forgotten about this. I tend to be kinder to others than I am to myself. One time at a birthday party I thought people were thinking that I was weird, when that was not the case at all. If I had only used some self love I cold have combatted these thoughts. Instead I spent the night in a fog and did not enjoy myself. Maslow was brilliant to come up with the levels leading to self actualization. Every time I find myself climbing up the ladder, I tumble down and have to start all over again. Self love must be part of self actualization. Unconditional positive regard applies not only others but yourself. I need to learn that. Perfectly imperfect? That is definitely what I could call myself if I were being kind to myself. Self acceptance needs to guide us through life, in our relationships with family and friends. It can help us in so many ways. I am working on it in therapy and hope to climb the pyramid as I grow and change as a human being.

• Amy, I enjoyed your honest reply. Self-acceptance is truly the ultimate achievement of one self and the road to enlightenment can be arduous. But as we self reflect in times of insecurity, remembering a few life facts can lessen the tension. Remembering that everyone in the room is also managing their own insecurities and creating their own synopsis of how they appeared to others. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how made them feel.” Maya Angelou. This great quote disregards the self-deprecating thoughts and highlights your personal truth, the truth of who you are to others. I personally like weird people because I feel they are being real to themselves and others and it gives me a sense of comfort while relieving anxiety. That’s what I’ll remember, not what they did or said that made them weird.

• Heather Monks says:

I find Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to be entirely accurate. As one climbs the ladder, if one of the proviso pillars wavers, they can’t move forward. I think self-actualization also consists of self-love and as well as confidence. I need that may go with the previous pillar of esteem, but I think confidence is a crucial part of growth, and developing confidence can make a significant difference in someone’s outward interactions with the world. Perfectly Imperfect reflects that we all need to accept ourselves and take or leave our faults, but most importantly accept them. And congrats to you to be working towards a whole you, and growth. I wish you the best of luck in therapy!

8. Reaching the stage of self-actualization seems as if it’s an important goal for every individual to accomplish. Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow’s relationships of the individual to society is a fascinating example of how individuals view themselves in relations to others and how one see’s their place in the world. I agree with the article, everybody has the inner drive or motivation to reach their definition if self acceptance. People seek self acceptance in their entire lives to have meaning for their place in society and in the world. I, want to reach self-actualization at a point in my life where I accept my decisions and choices, as well as who I become. I have an inner drive and motivation to be as successful as I possibly can be. During my path to self-acceptance I will not let the influences of society change me. My own self-acceptance is a unique individual perspective consisting of my own perception of perfection. Perfection to me could be imperfect to another m, there is no one perfect perception of life, every life no matter how perfect is imperfect.

9. Judene says:

I aways have a drive of been the best I can be as a person and as a mother to my son. In live my motivation is reaching the stage of self-actualization. “I’m I going to get there, maybe not” Is just a inner drive or motivation to motivates me in becoming a better me and be a role model to my son and family.

• Qian Ren says:

I agree the stage of self actualization is hard to reach but it is not impossible. I love how Maslow included this in his hierarchy of needs because it is a great motivation for us to never stop progressing. To actually get to that step, we would need to have self acceptance, we would need to believe that we can and will. I really like the work of Maslow and Roger because their ideas are so positive. They believe in free will and how everyone should be treated the same, with love no matter who they are. I love their positivity, they say that we would have to believe in our selves to achieve whatever we need to achieve. There are two concepts of self, the one that we want to be is like a goal for us to reach. But sometimes, a person is who they want to be but doesn’t see that because they keep pressuring themselves to be better when they are. As long as we are happy with our own self.

• I as well have the drive to be the best I can on a daily basis. Motivation influences us to try our best and reach the stage of self actualization. I want to be a role model for my family by going to a good college after highschool and choosing a career path I enjoy and can benefit from. In order to accomplish that I need to make choices and accept those decisions in the end no matter what they may be so I may find peace with myself and hopefully reach the stage of self-actualization.

10. Michele McKinnon says:

Self-acceptance is probably the most important gift we can ever give ourselves. Once we start to accept ourselves for who truly are, then I believe others around us will begin to accept us. I think if people just focused on who they want to be, rather than who they are, they’d eventually suffer some sort of identity crisis. It’s important to love you for you because you’re stuck with yourself no matter what. If there’s something about you that you’re unhappy it’s up to you to change it. I think Maslow was spot on in developing the hierarchy of needs. While most never actually reach the self-actualization stage, just striving to be the best you that you can be will always leave you feeling content.

• Amy Considine says:

I, too believe wholeheartedly in self acceptance, as I have mentioned before in other posts. I have had the experience of working at a summer camp, where kids are just being kids, not worrying about exactly how they are coming off to people around them. We can learn a lot from children, their being their best and not second guessing themselves. I think this starts to happen in high school. That confident boy, that self accepting girl, they start to doubt themselves and peer pressure sets in. I know that I was a carefree kid until I got to high school. Now, granted, I was dealing with some psychiatric symptoms in high school, but my self doubt got the best of me. I see my nephews and how they live life without any self doubt. I have recovered from high school, though, and now see myself as a pretty neat person now. Self acceptance has indeed been the greatest gift I could give myself. I usually accept myself, aside from those off days where I doubt everything I do! I don’t think I will ever get to self actualization, as I have said, but hopefully I can become the best version of me that I can be.

• Qian Ren says:

I agree on how we should be able to accept and love ourself before anything and that children are the best at doing this. It was normally when we reach high school that we are pressured from society, unfortunately sometimes children lose their innocence in middle school now with all of the easy accessible internet and social media. We always care about about what others and society thinks of us, that we don’t act like who we really are. Sometime we just need to care less and be ourselves because the right group of people will welcome us into their group.

• Michele McKinnon says:

Yes I agree. If only adults saw the world in the same light that children do. They are so young and innocent. Self-doubt means nothing to them. It’s a shame that as we grow older we are constantly comparing our current selves to those around us. If people just focused on being who they are there would be less problems. The most important thing to remember is to always be yourself because despite your shortcomings (we all have them) no one can a better you than you. The older I get the more I realize this. It’s okay to be imperfect, just be the best you can be.

• Heather Monks says:

I worked at a summer camp as well, and I worked with 13 year old girls, which is the age when self doubt, and inner criticism starts to appear. It was very disheartening to see this young girls start to doubt everything they would say, and eventually have no confidence in themselves. I found the best way to help promote their own self-confidence was to be entire confident in myself, and never waver with my actions. Young minds learn so much by watching others, and as a role-model to these girls, perhaps I could teach them it’s ok to be themselves and act silly if I can do the same myself.

It was very important for myself to be totally self-assured and confident, so that these girls could learn from that and perhaps make a difference in them. It was just incredible to see this self-doubt start to form in their minds, at such an age, and I couldn’t entirely reverse it, but I hoped to make some difference to them.

• I agree self-acceptance is probably the most important gift we can ever give ourselves. Receiving self-acceptance from purr selves is the equivalent of beating life at its own game. When you reach the stage of self-acceptance you are not only at peace with yourself, but with the world around you as well. I am only 17, so I am not going to reach self-acceptance anytime soon, I am constantly involved in stressful assignments and tasks that could influence my life in the distant future so I must consistently make the better decision in multiple senarios and situations as to not follow a negative path. Self-acceptance is like a finish line for people attempting to find themselves in society and within theirselves.

11. Jonathan Hock says:

I would disagree with Roger’s theory of unconditional love saying that every human being is deserving of love regardless of achievement and behaviors. In fact, I would say achievement and behaviors should be used as a tool to guide us through life and to find love. We should work and strive for love and the inputs we contribute to society and interpersonal relationships should be the basis of the love we receive. I firmly believe in a fundamental philosophy that a person cannot take, take, take, and expect to receive. As I also believe that humans are not born inherently good, nor, inherently bad. I am not basing this off any religious concept of original sin, as am I atheistic in belief, I simply believe that humans are conscious animals that are entirely influenced by their environment and to some extent their genetics. I do not believe that human beings have an objective universal truth, I believe each society of humans have their own learned, created, socially acceptable subjective truths. An Arctic tribe may kill their new born babies to make it through the winter and conserve resources which seems subjectively reasonable to that individual society. Where it may not seem as justifiable to abort an unborn baby in an affluent first world country. I believe good and evil are subjective to different societies of people, but if I were to believe in any one universal rule when it comes to humanity; it would be that nobody deserves anything.

• Jonathan, I like your post, it was honest and somewhat dark. I believe what Rogers was saying is that every human being has an inherent set of deserving qualities, and love, like life, or the right to breath is something we are born with, and behavior and achievement has nothing to do with it. When you take into account their behavior, then the judgment of what they deserve and what they don’t deserve comes into play. While I agree, on the surface, when someone only chooses to take, that his or her behavior doesn’t deserve to receive, the idea of that inherent quality still does exist and they are still deserving. Rogers’ opinion is stripped of religion, culture, or learned behavior and is focused on the inner core of personalization within the mind and its perception on itself inside the matrix.

• The concept is regardless of achievement and behavior,, so if I am not capable of achieving greatness, I do not deserve unconditional love????

12. Gabby Berube says:

Self acceptance and self love are two different things. I believe though, in order to love yourself, you must first accept yourself. If self actualization is the goal, then I believe the first step is self acceptance. Something I have always told myself and others, is “how can you love anyone if you don’t even love you.” It is easy to love your mom, dad, and other family members. Sometimes, you have no choice, because you are “stuck” with them. However, when really talking about loving a spouse, or significant other, I believe truly loving the other person means you have successfully learned how to love yourself, and appreciate you.

In Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, the love and belongingness category is fulfilled by family members and friends. The self-esteem need is the need to love yourself and who you are. Unfortunately, many do not reach self-actualization because many are focused on who they are not, and who they want to be, instead of embracing the things they enjoy about themselves.

As a psychology major, and someone who does believe that the hierarchy of needs is true, I can see myself one day reaching a point of self actualization. I have made a commitment to myself to learn how to love and appreciate my well being in order to one day be selfless, and content. I take it as both a challenge, and an experiment.

13. Mamadou Balde says:

In order to love ourselves, we must accept ourselves. If we are not satisfied with what we are, we will always try to hide our true nature and will never love ourselves. I think that we have to know ourselves in order to be our ideal-selves. If one does not know themselves I don’t see how they are going to achieve their ideal-shelves. If everyone would accept themselves, the world would be a far better place. Conflicts in all elements of society is due to the fact that people don’t accept themselves, therefore don’t even love themselves let alone loving others. When someone that is in a particular set of conditions is trying to get out those conditions and achieve something they are currently not or don’t have really accept themselves. This may be attempt to change one’s social status and things of that sort. To have a better world we need to accept our individual selves.

14. Ezekial Francisco says:

This was probably my favorite thing that you taught us in our mini semester. I like the idea of moving up and down your hierarchy of needs as necessary. I also really liked how I could physically place myself on the chart and map out the things I wanted to achieve and how I could if possible reach self-actualization. I also definitely agree that people have this inherent need to achieve self-actualization. Whatever that may be.

15. YU LIU says:

in my whole life, I always try to love myself, but all the time I can’t felt that, maybe I have more benefits want to get, maybe I must change because of some situation, maybe sometimes I can’t follow my heart. that is all my choice, because my don’t have any chance to choice. when I get the goal, I will relax a little bit time. after that, I feel boring. so I will find other goal to catch it. that make me lose myself. family always tell me ” Don’t forget your original intention”. I think I need a little bit time to think about that. because this is my own life, maybe I want all the things achievement…
    But who knows …… I have the chance, just me can choice it…. Follow my heart…..

16. Mingxi Li says:

I believe in order to be the person that I want to be, you need to is know yourself, accept yourself and love yourself. Without knowing and accepting yourself, I am sure you don’t even know what you want to be. Of course, throughout our life- time we will go up and down at the Maslow’s hierarchy, that’s the process everyone will go through. Even though, you might can’t be the person you wanted to be, accept yourself first and try hard to achieve it, you will have no regret.

17. seeker1307 says:

Self-actualization is the acceptances of who you are or who you want to be in life in itself. some may say it’s about looking back to what you did or did not do in the past and accepting. But I think me living my life is just to move forward and not worry about the past, the past will always be in the past and it always tends to hold us back. I am a computer science major and that being the fact that I can’t look back to the past but instead, learn my mistakes to correct my present and future. there’s a great quote by BRUCE LEE “if you love life then don’t waste time, cause time is what life is made up of”.

18. Fajr Harris says:

Self-Actulization is a funny concept to me. In away I feel like you can achieve it with not having every aspect on the pyramid. I think its about progressing in life in whatever form that is to you. Its a personal achievement. No two people are truly the same. No one is better either. However you reach and what your scale and goals were are up to the individual. In plain for it is acceptance. Acceptance of who you are and the choices you make.