Internet addiction disorder, as a diagnosis, has yet to be fully established and defined. Researchers and educators are treating this addiction in the same fashion as other psychological addictions and are recognizing that this addiction could also be considered an enabler for other addictions such as gambling, sexual addiction, or addiction to pornography. Internet addiction must be taken seriously whereas this addiction like all other recognized addictions can be disruptive and extremely destructive.
Signs and Symptoms of Internet Addiction:
- Euphoric feelings when in front of the computer
- No sense of time
- Continued online surfing leads to decreased productivity at work and fewer interactions with family members.
- Compulsions. Excessive time spent in online activities such as gaming, trading of stocks, gambling and even auctions often leads to overspending and problems at work.
- Cybersex addiction. Too much surfing of porn sites often affects real-life relationships.
- Cyber-relationship addiction. Excessive use of social networking sites to create relationships rather than spending time with family or friends may destroy real-life relationships.
- Inability to interact socially.
Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.org/