Social Interpersonal Growth Psychotherapy

Home » Milgram: Obedience to Authority

Milgram: Obedience to Authority

1. Sarah Erritouni says:

It really is interesting how people are willing to do anything if someone perceived as an authority figure tells them it is okay, but I suppose it is not all that surprising when you remember that people are told to follow directions and obey authority figures from the day they could understand what a command was. We like to assume that those in power will always do the right thing and know more than the rest of us so we urge our children to obey them whenever they issue a command. In a perfect world, this mentality would work just fine but in all reality it is best to trust authority with a healthy dose of “stranger danger.”

Something else I thought was interesting was how, in the video, the “teacher” got up and was ready to leave but once he was told that the “experimenter” was the one responsible he, albeit reluctantly, sat back down and continued administering the shocks. While the “teacher” still believed that he was the one responsible for the harm he was directly causing the “learner”, he became increasingly unwilling to continue after the “learner” began calling out. However, as soon as he was told he was not the one who was responsible and, as it was implied, not the one who would take the blame if anything went wrong, he was a lot more willing to continue.

Also, I found another experiment that was done in 2009 to replicate the Milgram experiment. The difference here is this one had to go through a lot more “ethics and morality checks.” The link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwqNP9HRy7Y.

2. Sierra Hitchcock says:

Whenever I hear about this experiment it always makes me wonder what I would do if I was put in a similar situation. I would love to believe that I would not go along with what I was being asked to do. I also know that I am one who follows rules and the directions of those who appear to be in authority. Knowing this about myself I fear that if I was told to keep shocking the “learner” I would absolutely continue to do it. Hopefully I will never be put in any kind of situation like that, but if I am I hope I will recall this experiment and tailor my actions so that no one will be harmed.

3. Qian Ren says:

It is scary how we can change when we are given authority. It’s surprising how the teacher continued to shock the learner when he was told that since it is an experiment the researchers would hold responsible if anything goes wrong. When talking about how we can change personalities throughout the day, it is scary how the people around the teacher persuaded him to continue on the experiment, and manipulated his personalities. Wow he lost his morals, and didn’t even give it a second thought when he was told to continue because he won’t be responsible, also knowing that he might kill the learner with all the shocks.

This experiment done by Milgram reminds me of Philip Zimbardo’s Stanford Prison Experiment, which in both experiments, one group is given power and the other group to obey them. The person/ group with the given authority is carried away with their power and forgets about how nasty they are turning into. From Zimbardo’s prison experiment, he came up with the Lucifer Effect which talks about good people turning into evil people. Lucifer was god’s favorite angel until he disobeys him and then was sent to hell and became satan. In connection to the Holocaust, the “prisoners” were given numbers and for only being in the prison for less than two weeks, they forgot their names and referred to themselves as numbers, which is scary!
    When I read William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, I had to learn about the experiment because it’s relevant to the novel. The novel is about a group of “civilized” British boys who got stucked on an island that no one has ever been on with no resources, after their plane was shot down. As a result they had to find a system to govern themselves in order to survive, but of course that did not go well when one power hungry boy dictated the whole group, leading to two deaths. Being written after WWll, author Golding incorporated a lot of Adolf Hitler’s characteristic into the boy that dictated the whole group. This novel shows us what happens when someone is given too much power. Despite the boys were only children, they were shown to have done horrific things such as stealing resources, killing two boys under the influence of one evil boy. Golding was a strong believer that there is a evil side in everyone and that human are naturally selfish. There were many clues in this novel that Golding had studied psychology as he included many archetypes in the book (light = goodness, dark = evilness). Golding also used Freud’s iceberg analogy to write his characters.
    (sorry for talking more about a different experiment than Milgram’s, the two are very similar)

4. Amy Considine says:

I was horrified at this experiment. The shocks administered to the innocent participant were upsetting. I have never seen anything like this before. As mentioned by another blogger i don’t know what I would do if I were the person who was giving the shocks. I’d like to say I would never do that but if faced with that situation where I was being told to do something I might comply. I thought it was interesting how the man got up and refused to keep giving shocks because he could hear the receiver of the shocks in pain. It was a painful experiment to watch, I wonder if in present day the result would be anything different. Human nature is so fascinating, it is interesting to see how people act when faced with a “power hungry” situation.

• Elizabeth Gutierrez says:

Hi Amy,
      I was thinking the same thing , what if the results were different in present day? I did take a look at the link Sarah shared with us. The experiment was almost identical to Milgram’s but was conducted in 2009. Sadly same results were collected. But many things have changed from 2009 to present day. People seem to be more liberal and not so compliant with authority. Maybe if they did it again but in present day results would be different? Or maybe not. I like to believe us humans have more will power to have a say in whats wrong or not. Not just be told what to do and comply with instructions from higher ups.

5. pridethomas says:

Can human beings seriously be that persuaded….! And only by the time the guy thought he was dead was when he felt “bad” and took a stand against what he was doing. We need confidence in our actions and our morals so that a human being (authority figure) does not manipulate us to do something that is wrong. If it feels wrong (gut feeling) it most likely is !

6. This experiment sheds light on how much control authority has in society. Not taking away from the severity of the crimes committed during the Holocaust. It just gives a bit more perspective.

7. Beshoy abdelmalak says:

The problem is that sometimes people follow the law more than their own moral believes or the humane standards. For example, people would ask if that is legal to do or not, not if it is good for people or not. Nobody wants to be sued or taken to court so they just obey authority because it would be the first to blame when thaey are held responsible.

• Elizabeth Gutierrez says:

Hi Beshoy,
      Interesting point you brought up about who takes blame for something. I think you’re definitely right about people not defying a rule or law in order to not get blamed for not following instructions. As you can see in the video after the first shock that the actor reacted negatively about the person administrating the shocks would look back at the experiment conductor as to see any signs of disapproval from him. When they realized the conductor didn’t disapprove that kept going even though the actor sounded like he wasn’t willing to keep going. I believe they looked back at the conductor to make sure they themselves weren’t blamed for doing something bad. The moment they saw the conductor be ok with it was the moment the people administrating the shocks found it ok to keep going because after all they weren’t being blamed for the wrong doing, it was all part of the instructions to keep going even if that meant hurting someone.

8. Thalia Urena says:

After watching this video, what i have questioned before has been almost clarified for me now. Almost all of us are brought up to respect authority, and obey their orders. You do as your told, or you will suffer the consequences. (Example: parents, teachers, etc). For this particular experiment, i believe that the people administering the shock knew that what they were doing is painful, and could be life threatening to the person who receives the shock. The persons morals makes them question the person in the white coat who just continues to tell them they must continue, but yet they still continued. I believe they still continued because we believe that authority, are people who know better than us. We think that they must know more than we do, or are more educated in whatever we are doing (parents and teachers again are another example of this). For this experiment, the person believes that the man in the white coat knows more about the experiment than him, so he doesn’t go against what he says, and he follows his orders as he disregards his morals in the meantime. This would be like going against a manager at your workplace (since the people administering the shocks were being paid) and the man in a white coat was technically in charge. I myself find it hard to ever go against or even question what my manager does at work, so i believe that could tie into this situation. The only difference between my manager at work and this experiment is that i have known and worked for my manager for 2 years, and this man in the experiment seemed to have just met him today. How would he know if he is a smart, educated, or not a crazy guy? I trust my manager because I’ve known him for years. Also, i question if things would change if the person administering the shock knew the people receiving the shocks. What if it was your wife, husband, mother, father, etc behind the glass? i believe things would change drastically.

9. silvana kanani says:

I think this is an example that we see in every field. People even though might have a different opinion or belief is more likely to Obedience to Authorities. Can be a police, nurse, student, a technical if only their supervisor asks them to do something, they will. People may be afraid of getting fired or just because think their supervisor will be more responsible for the act they will obey. I do not think this is right, if he thinks he should not continue he should not have. Actually the are some people who do not obey to authority and follow their opinion but they will not longer have their job.

• What was actually taking place, what was the study about??

• silvana kanani says:

In this experiment and others similar to this one they will obey to authority because they think they have everything under control. The person who says to continue when the “teacher” hesitate to give another shock seems very confident like he knows what he is doing. Also I think that some people obey because whatever happen they just followed the instruction and do not feel responsible for what happen. There was a study where a actor went to the hospital and introduce himself as a doctor and told to the nurses what kind of medicine and how much should give to the all patients. At first some of the nurses said that they do not take orders from not registered doctors and after he said he will have all the working papers in the morning all the nurses obey to him. The study showed that the nurses obeyed even when “the doctor” gave the instructions through the phone. People obey to authority because they believe on them, think they know more, or can be afraid.

10. Courtney Doucette says:

That was very interesting to watch… even though he knew it was wrong and he did not want to continued he did because he was being reassured by a man in a lab coat… and I feel this does happen throughout life… you think just because people are in a higher position than you that you either must listen to them or they know better than you do… which is not the case at all… I see this even at my workplace a lot patients treat the doctors like know all gods instead of using their own knowledge of themselves or common sense… no one is above anybody we are all human

11. Juan Ochoa says:

One of the many things I found interesting is that the man was very reluctant to continue with the process until he asked who would be held responsible if something happened to the person who was being shocked and when the person of authority told him it wouldn’t be him that would be held responsible, he continued with the act. This goes to show that we might worry about consequences more than anything because as soon as they confirmed to him they wouldn’t be holding him accountable, he continued the experiment.

• Terri Thompson says:

It seems that in the real world the only reason people don’t do harm others is fear of consequence. Now let’s imagine someone cuts me off fifth in traffic if I had no fear of consequence I might hit their car and cause them to hit someone else. But rather than having fear of consequence and now obedience to authority telling me to cut them off … I would .without it without reason… it’s called following order.

12. Cristina says:

It’s unbelievable how this method had a huge role in the Holocaust. The Nazis controlled people just like the “teacher” followed Miligram’s order, like increasing the volts and continue to ask the questions. At least he noticed that he could’ve potentially hurt the “learner” and stopped himself after he got no response/emotions. I was surprised that the teacher pointed out that if anything bad happens to the other guy, who would be responsible? And Milgram said that he (Milgram) will be responsible. The teacher kept going on with the process. This shows that people will listen to an authoritative voice than it’s own conscience and not realize what that person is doing.

13. Chris Gutowski says:

I found the results of this experiment rather disturbing… I would have never guessed that people could be capable of this kind of obedience, especially when there is a human life on the line. What amazes me is that the majority of the “teachers” would go so far as too administer a fatal shock to the “learners”. I would understand if the teachers had to fear for their lives for not cooperating, like most Germans during the Holocaust, but they were taking orders from a random guy in a white coat. It’s mind boggling to think how many of them had the chance to stop and walk away, and i was hoping that the majority of them would have guts to walk away, but i was wrong.

14. Fynesse Phillip-Arroyo says:

It is frightening to see that some one, in fact anyone can be lead to the point of hurting another person against there will. I was shocked to find the “teacher” didn’t build the courage to just walk away or step up to the authority. I’m sure if the Nazis decided to not take out orders they would be turned on by the one giving the order. This leads to the conclusion many of them continued being cruel to save their own lives. What was diffrent in this situation was the “teachers” life was not in danger. He had a choice to walk away from the experiment. I’m not justifying the actions of a Nazi because the things that took place were horrid. The video made a point about how Americans at the time of this experiment were shocked because the “teachers” were willing to commit acts “against their own conscience” just as the Germans when under command of the Nazis. I feel now this could help us understand why German Nazis would do what they did. Out of fear they murdered and terrorized many diffrent groups of people because the commander in chief had so much power over the majority of people.

Liked by 1 person

15. Shelli Brunet says:

As much as we would like to think this doesn’t happen it happens all the time. We as a society today take the word of people very seriously. Look at how we perceive what the main stream media tells us. We have no personal proof of what they tell us. Yet we allow it to change our outlook on things almost blindly because we see them as a trusted source. Peer pressure, people we trust and call our friends often get us to do things that we would rather not do, that next drink or maybe try a cigarette. Although these things are harmless compared to what the Nazi’s did. It is the same blind acts.

Liked by 1 person

• Thalia Urena says:

Hello Shelli!
      I love how you referred to social inferences for this topic.. you really thought outside of the box for that one and i commend you for it. You’re totally right about it, And I’ve had these thoughts about social media as well. People hear “this celebrity is addicted to drugs” and automatically believes it without questioning it… like questioning the source. Is it even credible? Most knock off magazines sell lies, and nobody stops to think its complete crap. We are so influenced by other people in how we handle things and its so insane.

16. Josilyn Gaudet says:

I found this experiment very revealing. It revealed how people act when pressured or instructed by an authority figure. Many people, although they have done nothing wrong, confess to an act they did not do simply because of the pressure from the authority figure. This video demonstrated it perfectly but in a different manner. The man adminstrared harmful shocks to the person being tested simply because the authoritative figure told him to. People tend to be afraid or feel like they have done something wrong when they are nervous and falsely accuse themselves or act as instructed when they are nervous. Nerves get the best of people, especially when they are afraid they could get in trouble them self.

17. Luis gallego says:

This experiment showed that we as individuals have been trained on who is in charge and what he or she says goes that we lose all focus in oneself knowing we are in the wrong doing but continue to keep going by rank structure or authority because we are intimidated by what might happen to us in the long run rather then thinking of everybody as a whole. This man was clearly being manipulated into shocking this poor man to the point where he was going to kill him which says a lot. As people we all have say and need to stick by our gut because if it looks wrong, smells wrong, taste wrong then it’s wrong period. The military is a prime example because of that rank structure. You do what your told and that’s it.

• silvana kanani says:

I think this happen because we are taught to obey to the people who are older than us or people who are our professors, doctors, employers etc. we see them as references and trust them more then our selves. it is easier to obey and others take tersponsability for our actions than standing for our belief till the end.

18. Krista Bucko says:

This was a very interesting experiment. It surprised me that a person is willing to do whatever once you assign them a role to play. Even though, this is very interesting, it’s also frightening. All because a guy told him to electrocute the participant, the guy who was doing the electrocuting did! Just because he was told to. Which scares me. When the participant is shouting “let me out! Let me out” the electrocuter keeps going because he is simply told to. It’s scary that just because someone has the higher power, it means we have to follow what they tell us.

19. Alexander Karabelas says:

How fascinating it is when authority plays a role in our moral values! It’s truly astonishing. I will say that I was heart-heavy on the subject. Once they announced that the guy getting shocked was an actor, I felt a wave of relief. I just cannot believe that people think it’s okay to do something bad even if someone else says it is okay. It’s just like World War II and the Nazis. They helped commit genocide and claimed they were “just following orders” It’s like they didn’t have a mind of their own to say, “Hey, we’re killing people just because they’re Jewish. This seems odd and unreasonable.” It’s also similar to animal testing. Someone can say to test cosmetics on animals as an authority figure, but is it ethically reasonable? Just because they say it’s okay, it doesn’t mean that it is morally acceptable. Some cosmetology items and treatments can be harmful to animals, yet some people proceed anyway. It is amazing how if someone can be a higher rank or status than us, that some will actually follow what they say.

20. Travis Davis says:

It is astounding to see what the simple mind will do when put under authority. Humans have the ability to go against their consciences when put under a person or with a person perceived to have authority.As stated in the video the most decent man can commit the most horrific crimes. Through Miss lesion of the task at hand those conducted in the experiment, the learners per-say, will decipher their answers out of worry rather then logic.

21. Andy Duverge says:

In the experiment, people were administering shocks to a “learner”that were answering questions. For every wrong answer the administer shocked them; each shock was increasingly more powerful than the last. People at first thought that people wouldn’t administer shocks of high voltage. However to their surprise, more than 65% people actually used the high voltage on the learner even after cries of pain, and knowledge of the fact that the “learner” had a heart disease. The question people asked were, “Why didn’t they stop?” The people mainly responded by saying they were told that the effect on the “learner” was going to handles by the person running the experiment. As well they said that they were told to. This to me really made me realize that if we are told by a teacher, parent, or even a person of superiority, to do something, we do it. Even is if it is not okay or moral, we still do it because we are obedient. This is exactly how the Nazi explained themselves. They said that they were ordered to do it and nothing else was asked of it. We might say, “Why didn’t they question them?” but to them it was follow orders or die. And I think most people would say that they would carry out their orders instead of dying.

Liked by 1 person

22. Michaela Brunet says:

Our conscious is put on hold so that we may do what is told to us so that we may help. It is our mind saying “this man/woman is telling me to continue so why shouldn’t I continue? The man must know what he is doing.” Yet our conscious knows it is not well and that we are breaking our own morals instead of following what we think is right.

23. Samantha Dunn says:

The test administrator pressed many uncomfortable comments against the continual shocking to the test taker. He listened to his who at first and did not want to be in that situation. On the other hand, it really stuck out to me how much quicker he complied to chucking the test taker when the boss told him it was his responsibility. The test administrator did not see the wrong in the shocking when it wasn’t his fault. The boss also pressured the administrator to conform. Because the boss was the figure of authority, his words were true to the administrator; so he believed him.

24. Terri Thompson says:

I can’t say I’m shocked at these results, at the least bit. people are forced to obey authority in our every day life so of course obeying authority in a situation where you’re on the line makes sense. as we could all tell the man in the video wasn’t comfortable with what what he was doing, but clearly he continued on. Regardless of his own personal feelings or his moral compass he still continued to cause someon else pain knowingly. This experience not only connects deeply with with the Nazi but also with how people live every day.

• Thalia Urena says:

Hi Terri!
      I totally have the same opinion as you regarding authority. We are raised to respect authority, such as teachers, police officers, even doctors. Essentially people who should know better than we do. These people knew deep down this was not ok, but seemed to assume that the doctors must know what they are talking about. Yet, at some point they really should have gotten the hint that, that doctor was insane. Some professionals, or “authority” aren’t so great at all. (key word, some.. it can happen but unlikely). People should stick to their morals, nobody was holding them into a chair, they had the option to leave and give the money back that they were given to participate.

• silvana kanani says:

Hi Terri! after all the videos i have watch and the experience we have in life it does not surprise me either. there are people who obey to the others because are economic depended to them, other people can not take responsibilities for them selves and they depend on others choices especially when see them as superior.

25. Dina DiFruscia says:

This experiment is crazy! Its hard to believe that the participants of this experiment who had to shock the person never once stopped to ask what is going on or stand up for what’s right. The administrator of the test continuously commented thorough the experiment about something happening to the person getting shocked, but the people being paid to flick the switch stated they would take responsibility! That in my opinion is the craziest part of the whole thing! Is the $4.25/hr. really worth assuming the responsibility of killing another human being? I think not!

26. jackeline says:

I think this was a good experiment being that it was an actor and he was not being really shocked but it shows how people are willing to do anything just because there boss or anybody with an authority figure will make do. the guy administering the shock did not want no part if anything happened to the actor but continued to shock him because was told to.

27. Fajr Harris says:

This experiment showed that people are willing to obey others commands , whether they agree or not If the person is in an authority position. I’m not at all shocked by the results being 2/3 complied with the experiment. This behavior happens everyday. Even iff I think my boss is giving misleading information or my professor has the wrong dates, I sometimes have a fear of inserting my thoughts and correcting them because I am afraid of the unknown. It can definitely be connected to some who followed orders of the Nazi Party in Germany. If people were willing to inflict pain $4.00, then they would definitely do it to save their lives and their families. I also ask myself what would I do in a situation like this. I can’t say that I would allow this to occur, but on the other hand I also cant say that I would stop listening to someone who is giving me a command. Beliefs and moral values go out the window when someone with more control of a situation commands something to be done.

28. Kaylen Jeffrey says:

I find it quite amazing at the fact that one will obey another because they know or think that he/she is in authority. You would assume that if you don’t want to do something that you would just stop what you’re doing. But I also took the 4,000$ they were offering in consideration to why they did and proceeded to supposedly shock the other person even if they honestly thought he was in a lot of pain, which was driven obviously by extrinsic forces.

• Thalia Urena says:

Hi Kaylen!
      You would also hope that no amount of money would pursue someone to continue to hurt someone. Although i do agree that most people just don’t turn down that amount of money. That could of been a big influence on some of the people choosing to continue shocking strangers.

29. Krista Bucko says:

This is my second time watching it. It’s good that the guy is an actor and no harm is being done. However it’s crazy to think that the guy doing to shocking knew what he was doing and yet still kept shocking him all because he was told to.

30. Andy Duverge says:

I rewatched this video and I’m still amazed on how we just take orders from people who are higher than us in society.

31. Michaela Brunet says:

This is my second time watching it, it amazes me how people just listen to others instead of following what they believe.

32. Alexander Karabelas says:

Rewatching this video was kind of sad. It’s amazing, though, how someone can think they have power when someone tells them there are no consequences.

33. Jane says:

Jane Idreda
    It is very interesting watching this video,first i did not know the shocks that were being administered were fake. Imagine they were real! Watching the teacher shocking the participant after giving a wrong answer made feel sick. It is amazing how people we react towards the authoritative parties. Listening to the experimenter, asking the teacher to go on with the experiment even after the teacher showed him that he was uncomfortable with administering the electronic shocks.Worst of all increasing the voltage use every time, left me wondering how heartless ca one be.
    I loved the way the teacher gave up,stood up t walk way and asked them to check up on the man because he was not responding to electronic volts.Although if it would have been worse if the they voltage was real.

34. Gabby Berube says:

I’ve seen this video several times, and after watching it now I still think it’s extremely interesting how people react towards an authority figure. In many cultures and social environments, children are taught to obey authority figures, and are taught to do what they are told to do more often than they are told to do what’s morally correct. So in effect, adults will be more likely to do the same thing, as it is taught to us as we mature and grow. I think that unless we globally change what we teach, we will always act as what is displayed in this experiment.

35. Fan Hu says:

I was totally shocked by people’s careless and heartless. Although the ‘teacher’ paused the experiment when the ‘student’ shouted. But, under the authority figure, ‘teacher’ still continued adding the voltages. During this experiment, even though the participant noticed this experiment is beyond the moral bottom line, they still obey the order, which is obedience to authority figures. This shows the powers of people submitting to the authority, and even across the moral bottom line. I think everyone should take a serious thinking about how can we be kind and when we shouldvsay no to authority.

36. Fan Hu says:

I was totally shocked by people’s careless and heartless. Although the ‘teacher’ paused the experiment when the ‘student’ shouted. But, under the authority figure, ‘teacher’ still continued adding the voltages. During this experiment, even though the participant noticed this experiment is beyond the moral bottom line, they still obey the order, which is obedience to authority figures. This shows the powers of people submitting to the authority, and even across the moral bottom line. I think everyone should take a serious thinking about how can we be kind and when we should say no to authority.

37. Mamadou Balde says:

This experiment shows that human beings have evil in them. If you put them in some environments or situations, the evil in them will manifest. We can also see the power of authority. Authority can make us do horrible things even if we don’t want to. It also proves that we are not the careful, compassionate people we pretend to be. Because after being instructed to do terrible orders, we can go on and do them on people that we don’t know possibly innocent people. We can see if human beings are not accountable for their actions, they can do unbelievable acts of terror. From that, we can conclude that people we meet every day can do us harm if they would not be held accountable. They merely don’t do it because they know that there will be consequences. This video gave a new perspective on people and human beings in general.

38. YU LIU says:

in some situation, people can’t control their mind. because of authority.in this video, showed that authority all the power, even they were wrong. this video showed, under the authority, moral bottom line was lost, and sometimes we should against this power. in the end of the video. ” teacher” give up this research, i think that was the right way to deal with these problem in the society. and sometimes we should say “NO” .

39. Mingxi Li says:

This video show us as a example that how weak some of the people are when they are facing authority, even if they know they are doing something wrong. They choose to obey the authority. However, we should learn from this video that when you are making choices and facing authorities, ask your self-morality and make the decision, not obey to what you have been told.

40. Yoselin Garmendia says:

This video shows how someone will do about anything if they have the right pressure to do so. How someone will do something if someone qith some type of power tells them to do it that it is fine. How the mind of a person is so weak to someone wearing some type of uniform that they can get them to do just about anything without much fight of someone else. They are told that they will not be responsible and thats a good enough to continue to do so without any remorse because they are not responsible for what is happening to the person receiving the shocks.

41. Alexander Huezo-Vasquez says:

After watching the video, I began to think of how this is applied in everyday life. Many people “go with the flow” and do what they’re told, without thinking about their actions, the impact they have or whether they are good or bad? It’s a sad and terrifying to see the lengths people are willing to obey authority figures.

42. MENUBIA COSMEY says:

It’s more of another eye opener rather than surprising. It kind of makes you wander about all the so called good people out there. This guy who was the teacher was not being forced or threatened in any way to continue the experiment. He was simply told to please continue and so he did despite the cries coming from the learner on the opposite end.

He probably convinced himself that it was for the sake of science and when the responsibility was no longer his on what happened to that guy he was able to continue. It proves why there are laws in place. When you have to pay directly for the consequences you are most likely to care more out of a selfish desire. When you can do whatever you want no consequences then you have no reason to worry about anything else. This experiment although not similar reminds me of the purge. That movie depicts what this experiment proved. People will do anything as long as they do not have to face the consequences. Of course this may not be everyone but there is a grater number of people who would act and have acted in this manner rather than people who would not. This experiment showed just that.

43. Sherrece Doman says:

I watched a more modern experiment which tested to see if the percentage of people willing to kill the man would change and it didn’t. Personally I feel that the people that answered the ad might have been people that were almost prepared to do anything because they knew they would be paid. Maybe some of these people although they didn’t want to continue used money as a motive to keep going, on top of the fact that the scientist said he’d take responsibility if anything happened to the man

44. Michael Lauletta says:

It is sad that this experiment showed that these people would do an experiment like this and hurt someone. Though it was all an act, it is sad to see that people would do things like this because the responsibility of the outcome was not on them, and sometimes people would do things like this for the money aspect. It is crazy how people can do this and they can blatantly see that they are hurting someone and still do it. They know it isn’t some baby shock too, they can clearly see the person they’re shocking is in some serious pain and they’re the ones inflicting it. I’ts just crazy to see people not care to an extent when they know the blame isn’t going to be on them.

45. Isabelle says:

It is fascinating that even still today people will hurt others when they do not feel as if they need to be responsible for their actions. Everyone must be held accountable for their behavior.

46. Flor Duarte says:

As we see in the experiment the “teacher” administers the electric shocks when encouraged to do so even against his own will. I think he was able to do so because he was not in charge therefore not responsible. He was just following orders, in that sense he was rid of all blame and the authority figure, in this case the man in the white coat,was the one completely responsible. As we see in may cases and situations were crimes are committed and a lot of people are simply just following orders, even if others lives are put in danger.

47. Cesar J. Espinal says:

You’d think that we humans would be more defiant, but it turns out that most of us would listen to anyone who is seen as an authority figure. Still two/thirds of the people in the experiment complied with hurting the person in the next room. A reason for this is that the participants thought that they did not have any responsibility for what happens. Without responsibility humans can be capable of great things, could be horrible but still great. It is reassuring that some of the participants didn’t follow through, this shows that we may give in to authority, but we all have the potential to stand up to them.

48. Jansel C. says:

See, the thing that is bothersome about this video is the fact that at first, the “teacher” didn’t seem willing to administer the shocks to the student, but was merely following orders given to him. Not knowing it was just an actor, he was administering dangerous levels of voltage to the “student”, and was doing so without any sense of remorse as the experiment progressed. The “teacher didn’t have to continue what he was doing, yet he did. It makes you think about the fact that maybe it’s human to not feel guilt if it’s something we’re “told” to do.

49. Sherrece says:

I cannot believe that this happened, what happened to common sense, this was a college campus, this is just as bad as following and watching your boss bully other people on the job.